Help the environment while saving money by using a water efficient toilet

Categories
Help the environment while saving money by using a water efficient toilet
Most of our planet Earth is covered with water (71%), which might give us an impression that such an abundance of water can give us the luxury to waste it. The reality is that out of total water present on earth, 97% of it is salt water; which is unusable for our daily needs. The remaining 3% of the water available which already seems quite less is also not entirely available for us - only 1% can be used by us, rest is frozen in glaciers around the world. Since this much less amount of water has to be used by us and our future generation, so it becomes our duty to adopt water efficient ways in our daily lives.

By adopting water efficient ways in our daily domestic activities, we not only will help environment by conserving fresh water but also save money for ourselves. One way to do so is through water efficient use of toilets. Let’s see how to do it.

Ensure that your toilet is not used for dumping trash By dumping trash like facial tissue, cigarette butt or small pieces of garbage, you’re making sure that you waste gallons of water and heighten the risk of blockage in your septic tanks. Better to dump your trash in recycle bins or dustbins instead of toilets.

Have a float booster installed in your toilet tank For reducing wastage of water through flushing, an inexpensive float booster will save adequate amount of water each day. Ensure that for proper flushing three gallons of water is present in the tank. Having inadequate amount of water in the flush tank will make the users do multiple flushing or hold the lever longer – leading to higher amount of water getting drained down. Multiple flushing of 1.4-1.5 gallons of water will make you lose more water than a single flushing of 2 gallons.

Use adjustable toilet flapper for water efficient flushing If you install an adjustable toilet flapper, you can control water usage in each flush through flush rate adjustment.  Each time a single good flush with minimum possible use of water can be achieved by minimum per flush setting.

Install ultra-low volume (ULV) flush models Replace your old toilet with an ultra-low volume flush modelled toilet (1.6 gallon flush); this will allow you to reduce your domestic water usage by 30%. According to Federal regulations the use of water per flush in the new toilet models must not exceed 1.6 gallons. An alternative to installing ULV flush models is installation of dual flush converter which can save on average 15,000 gallons of water annually. If needed more water can be utilized but in normal flush the usage of water will get down to its 70%.  This will save some significant amount of water and money.

LEAVE A REPLY