Finally! Winter is about to end. You can make the most of the summer by improving your outdoor living areas. Here are a few suggestions for creating your own personal backyard retreat, with a little effort and design.
- Add a deck or patio, if you don’t already have one. Not only does this addition provide a terrific space for gathering and grilling; but according to Remodeling magazine’s Cost vs. Value analysis, such an upgrade provides a return on investment of more than 75%.
- Create simple, lovely privacy screens around your outdoor deck or patio by integrating fences, trellises and vegetation.
- Pests can ruin a fun day outside. Take precautions like lighting citronella candles and hiring a pest control firm to treat your yard for unwelcome crawling and flying critters.
- Create a relaxing dining area with comfy outdoor furnishings. Include area rugs for color and to help define “rooms.”
- Strategically placed lighting will allow you to enjoy your outside space well into the evening, while also setting a pleasant ambiance. Enhance the mood with tiki torches, string lights and landscape lighting.
- Make it entertaining for youngsters. Include a fire pit, hot tub or gaming set.